- 2.0 Gallon Units
- 10 Gallon Units
- Water clear and Superior UV resistance
- Very Good chemical and abrasion resistance
- Remains PERMANENTLY FLEXIBLE over time
- Single coat high build capabilities – apply at up to 15 mils per coat
- Rated for indoor or outdoor use
- Zero reportable VOCs or HAPS
- Formulated for longer working time for easier installations
- Can be field tinted with ROCK-TRED Universal Colorants EXCEPT VELVET and LIGHT BLUE.
- Colorant loading is one 1.5 Colorant Jar (1/2 BagPak of Colorant) per 2 gallon mix
CHEM-THANE P-FLEX is a water clear, 2-component, 97% solids modified aliphatic / polyaspartic coating that combines the best attributes of high grade epoxy and urethane coatings in a highly flexible coating. CHEM-THANE P-FLEX offers the highest UV resistance available, remains flexible over time and has very good abrasion and chemical resistance. CHEM-THANE P-FLEX has zero VOCs or HAPS and meets all USDA/FDA guidelines for use in federally inspected facilities.
Uses & Typical Coverage
As a BODY or FINISH coat: CHEM-THANE P-FLEX is an excellent non-yellowing, body or finish coat for any of ROCK-TRED’s SOFT-FLOOR Systems. It was formulated to replace our ELASTI-THANE TOPCOAT 2K and 1K coatings in our SOFT-FLOOR line with a lower odor, more user friendly coating with even greater UV resistance and clarity. CHEM-THANE P-FLEX can be applied as a clear or field pigmented thin film coating from 8-15 mils, or as a clear 8-15 mil grout/sealer coat over our decorative RUBBER-BLEND EPDM or flake filled SOFT-FLOOR Systems and our FAB-TEC CARPET System.
|Volume mix ratio||1 to 1 (Resin to Hardener)|
|Viscosity (mixed)||750 - 950 CPS Typical|
|Solids Content (%)||97% (ASTM D-2697)|
|Elongation (%)||150% (ASTM D638-03)|
|Hardness (ASTM D-2440)||52 (Shore D) @ 7 day cure
95.8 (Shore A) @ 7 day cure
|VOC (note that the VOC are in exempt materials and non-reportable)||2 g/l (EPA method 24)
Zero reportable HAPS
|Application Temps.||60° – 85°F|
|Gel Time (see “Limitations” section below for more details)||40 - 60 minutes @ 75°F|
|Dry to Touch (recoat with compatible products)||1 – 3 hours @ 75°F|
|Through Cure||12 - 16 hours @ 75°F|
|Open for light traffic/use||24 hours @ 75°F|
|Shelf Life||1 Year in unopened units|
Limitations & For Best Results
- Do not apply when humidity exceeds 80%.
- Do not allow to puddle during application.
- Allow each coat to dry to ‘tack-free’ prior to re-coat.
- completing the previous coat.
- Mix on very low RPM or using a stir stick for 45-60 seconds. DO NOT INTRODUCE ANY AIR.
- When possible, squeegee on the shorter length of the room and immediately back roll in one pass in the opposite direction to strike off. Thickness of application should be controlled by the squeegee. Do not rely on back roll to eliminate puddles. Do not over back-roll as this will entrain air.
- When applying CHEM-THANE P-FLEX over rough substrates such as a full broadcast of RUBBER-BLEND EPDM two thinner coats of CHEM-THANE P-FLEX will yield a better appearance than one heavy coat.
- Gel time listed above for this product should not be confused with working time – actual working time is typically 15-20 minutes at 75°F and 45% RH.
- Do not apply directly to concrete.
- Do not thin or reduce.
- When ROCK-TRED Universal Colorant is added to this product cure and dry to touch times will be significantly extended. Colorant with higher loading volumes (lighter colors) will slow the cure and dry times most significantly.
Apply by brush, roller and squeegee. 12” squeegees are recommended to help reduce pooling. Unlike epoxy coatings CHEM-THANE P-FLEX has a longer “pot life” in the bucket and a shorter working time after it is poured onto the substrate. For best results installation crews must work closely together and pour out only enough catalyzed material that can be cut in, squeegeed and quickly back rolled before it starts to gel. Temperature and humidity will both increase how rapidly this material sets. When working on extremely warm or humid job sites smaller mixes are recommended. ROCK-TRED product test data is based on environmental temperatures of 75°F. Viscosity and working time are always affected by temperatures above or below that mark. When applying product – always consider the ambient, surface, and product temperature at the time and place of installation.
Color and Textures
CHEM-THANE P-FLEX is manufactured in water clear. Using a 1.5 Jar (equal to 1/2 of one BagPak) of ROCK-TRED UNIVERSAL Colorant per 2 gallon mix is acceptable except for C-04 VELVET or C-05 LIGHT BLUE – do not use VELVET or LIGHT BLUE with CHEM-THANE P-FLEX. Most ROCK-TRED products are available in a wide range of textures using an appropriate aggregate.
Always refer to ROCK-TRED’s chemical resistance chart for specific information on each product / system or contact ROCK-TRED directly.
DO NOT allow ROCK-TRED products to freeze. All ROCK-TRED products should be properly stored above the floor on pallets or shelves, and in an area that has a constant minimum temperature of 50° F.
Always apply ROCK-TRED products to a clean / sound substrate that is free of laitance, grease, oils, debris, and curing compounds. Concrete substrates should be cured for a minimum of 28 days prior to application of product (except as otherwise noted on the individual Technical Data Sheet). Whenever possible, remove existing coatings and/or flooring systems completely. If complete removal is not possible always perform tests to determine adhesion and compatibility to the existing flooring. Mechanical preparation by means of a diamond grinding or shot-blasting machine to a minimum CSP-2 profile followed by application an appropriate ROCK-TRED primer or base system is the best and recommended installation method for CHEM-THANE P-FELX applications. If the substrate is not properly prepared and the appropriate profile is not achieved, failure of the product to adhere to the substrate may occur.
Application tools and equipment can be cleaned with soap and water immediately after use or with solvent once the product has begun to cure.
Product containers will contain product residue and must be disposed of properly. Label warnings must be observed at all times. All containers must be disposed in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Always read and acquaint yourself with ROCK-TRED’s Product Data Sheet, SDS [safety data sheet], and product labels for each individual product prior to mixing and prior to use. For further assistance, product questions, additional information and/or unexpected or unusual installation conditions – contact your Area Sales Representative or ROCK-TRED directly for recommendations. Kit components are pre-measured for optimal performance. Catalyzation errors due to incorrect mixing in the field voids product warranty.