- 2.31 Gallon Unit BAG-PAKTM in a single pail.
- 4.62 Gallon Unit conventionally packaged in 2 pails
- Excellent adhesion to avariety of substrates
- Higher mixed viscosity, but free flowing during application
- Fast drying time
- Able to be field pigmented with ROCK-TRED Universal Colorants – use one 1.5 Jar per 2.31 gal. mix
- High DFT at low cost/gallon
- Excellent as vertical primer or basecoat for wall or ceiling systems
- Low sheen/flat finish
ROCK-PRIME HB is a fast curing, cost-effective, 2-component waterborne epoxy coating intended for use as a horizontal or vertical primer or body coat. ROCK-PRIME HB has no offensive odor, has no reportable VOC or HAPS and meets all USDA/FDA guidelines for use in federally inspected facilities.
ROCK-PRIME HB is recommended for use as a natural color (opaque/off-white) or pigmented self-priming broadcast coat for decorative or solid color ROCK-TRED quartz broadcast systems, as a neat vertical base coating or as the self-priming base coat for the Fast-Floor HT System.
ROCK-PRIME HB is typically applied at a spread rate of approximately 150 to 200 square feet per gallon depending on substrate porosity
|Volume mix ratio||13.5:100 (Resin to Hardener)|
|Viscosity (mixed)||7000 CPS Typical *See notation below|
|Solids Content (%)||60% (ASTM D-2697)|
|VOC||0 g/l (EPA method 24)|
|Application Temps.||60° – 85° F|
|Gel Time (at 50% RH)||35-40 minutes @ 75° F|
|Dry to Touch||30 – 60 minutes @ 75° F|
|Through Cure (recoat with compatible materials)||1 - 1.5 hours @ 75° F|
|Open to light traffic||24 hours @ 75° F|
|Shelf Life||1 Year in unopened units|
*Note: A Dynamic Viscosity of 7000cps allows this coating to achieve a high build film. However, this unique technology has a Kinematic (in-motion) Viscosity nearer 1000cps meaning it "feels" like a coating with a viscosity of 1000cps when it is being applied.
Limitations & For Best Results
- Do not thin this product.
- Do not apply when Humidity exceeds 70% indoors.
- Allow each coat to dry to 'tack-free' prior to re-coat
- When re-coating, always apply the next coat within 24 hours of completing the previous coat.
- Not intended as a finish coat.
- Working time will be reduced with warmer substrate/air temperatures and with air flow over the product.
- When applying to floors a full broadcast of colored or natural quartz is needed to prevent pinholes in the finish. Flake broadcasts are not recommended.
- Many coatings will not adhere to this product when applied without a full broadcast of quartz. Coatings that do bond to neat ROCK-PRIME HB include Chem-Thane WB Matte and Gloss, Chem-Rock Primer WB and Chem-Thane P50/P100.
- When used as a neat floor coating do not apply thicker than 175- 200 sq. ft./gal. or "stippling" may occur.
- DO NOT apply directly to EASYCOVE
- This product will cure to white/opaque without colorant added.
- For vertical applications allow a 10 minute induction time or product may sag. Typical vertical application rates are between 6-12 mils.
- Separation is likely during storage. Follow two step mixing instructions below to prevent product failure.
Do not mix partial kits! Using a low speed drill and spiral mixing blade pre-mix HARDENER for approximately 30 - 60 seconds to reincorporate any separated or settled product. If using colorant add one 1.5 Jar (or ½ BagPak) ROCK-TRED Universal Colorant to pre-mixed Hardener and mix further until color is homogenous. Slowly add RESIN component to pre-mixed HARDENER and mix for an additional 2 minutes to catalyze unit. If applying vertically allow a 10 minute induction time. Apply vertically in coats of 6 -12 mils WFT by brush and roller. Apply horizontally in coats of 8 - 20 mils WFT by brush, roller and squeegee and then broadcast to rejection with quartz. ROCK-TRED product test data is based on environmental temperatures of 75°F. Viscosity and working time are always affected by temperatures above or below that mark. When applying product always consider the ambient, surface, and product temperature at the time and place of installation.
Color and Textures
ROCK-PRIME HB is manufactured un-pigmented (opaque/off- white) and can be field pigmented using one 1.5 Jar (or ½ BAG-PAK) of ROCK-TRED Universal Colorant per 2.31 gallon mix. Most ROCK-TRED products are available in a wide range of textures using an appropriate aggregate.
Always refer to ROCK-TRED's chemical resistance chart for specific information on each product / system or contact ROCK-TRED directly.
DO NOT allow ROCK-TRED products to freeze. All ROCK-TRED products should be properly stored above the floor on pallets or shelves, and in an area that has a constant minimum temperature of 50°F.
Always apply ROCKTRED products to a clean / sound substrate that is free of laitance, grease, oils, debris, and curing compounds. Concrete substrates should be cured for a minimum of 28 days prior to application of product [except as otherwise noted on the individual Product Data Sheet]. Whenever possible, remove existing coatings and/or flooring systems completely; if complete removal is not possible always perform tests to determine adhesion and compatibility to the existing flooring. Mechanical surface preparation to a minimum profile of CSP-2 by means of a shot-blasting machine or rotary diamond grinder is the best and recommended preparation method for ROCK-PRIME HB applications. If the substrate is not properly prepared and the appropriate profile is not achieved, failure of the product to adhere to the substrate may occur.
Application tools and equipment can be cleaned with soap and water immediately after use, or with solvent once the product has begun to cure.
Product containers will contain product residue and must be disposed of properly. Label warnings must be observed at all times. All containers must be disposed in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations.
Always read and acquaint yourself with ROCK-TRED's Product Data Sheet, SDS [safety data sheet], and product labels for each individual product prior to mixing and prior to use. For further assistance, product questions, additional information and/or unexpected or unusual installation conditions – contact your Area Sales Representative or ROCK-TRED directly for recommendations. Kit components are pre-measured for optimal performance. Catalyzation errors due to incorrect mixing in the field voids product warranty.
Rock-Tred Products in action. Learn why it is important to hire a professional and use superior products for residential garage epoxy floor projects.
Mike Lenk demonstrates the Rock Tred 1 Day Garage floor installation with the Chem Rock LT (low temperature) and the Chem Rock Ultra UV Top Coat. For more information about these products.
Having control of the product from development to raw materials to production means that Rock Tred offers a vastly superior product for the money. Dr. Steve Hodges, Product Technical Director discusses how all Rock Tred Products are put through a rigorous set of product quality tests and are supported all the way through application.
Times are tough for contractors these days. By doing business with Rock-Tred, you can put more cash towards your bottom line.